Learning Matters E-news
Each month our e-news bulletin offers expert comment and original stories about all aspects of learning, training and skills in prison.
We regularly feature case studies promoting innovative initiatives in prisons, learners' stories and letters from past and present prisoners, PET's latest news and articles by other charities in the criminal justice sector.
- To receive our bulletin in your mailbox each month why not Sign up to our Learning Matters e-news and please do share with anyone interested in finding out more about prison education.
- We regularly feature contributions from individuals and/or organisations. If you would like to write an article for our e-news, please do get in touch with Clare from the policy team.
- We always endeavour to provide the most up-to-date, interesting content in an accessible format. Please give us feedback if you have any suggestions to help us improve our e-news.
- January - New strategy, NCS cuts, Animation with fathers and children, new PLA Chair
- February - New curriculum, Michelle's degree in prison, NCS cuts, Join the PLA
- December - Seven 'firsts' in 2017 - a festive roundup from PET
- November - Highlights from Carol Concert, including Pastor Lorraine Jones on how spreading messages of forgiveness after the death of her son; how Javed learnt to embroider in prison and is now making shirts for Manchester City; and photos from a philosophy class in HMYOI Isis
- October - University/prison partnerships map live; blog: prison education in the US; new guide for governor commissioning; "My daughter taught me to read in prison"; writing competition
- September - PLA Conference special - PLA Awards; an update on commissioning from the MoJ; digitalisation of prisons; Leicester governor on choosing the right educational fit
- August - Changes to education contracts; GCSEs & A Levels in prison; why Universities must be more Inclusive; Cell Workout in HMP Wandsworth; Photos from our Summer Party; TV roundtable: can education reduce violence in prisons?; Learning Together conference
- June - Why David Lidington needs to care about prison education; PET Chair & Alumni in Queen's Birthday Honours; Response to damning though-the-gate report; PET wins Charity Governance Award; HMI inspections - Brixton, Huntercombe, Lincoln, Medway, Pentonville
- May - Looking back a year from the Coates review; PLA award nominations open; Dee learnt to drive a truck in prison; 16 female ex-prisoners hike for PET; Swaleside/Kent prison partnership
- April - Highlights from PET's Academic Symposium 2017; launch of PUPiL and PLAN networks; Penned Up prisoner-led arts festival; Justice Select Committee report on prison reform; new prison clusters for commissioning; HMI Prisons education inspections - Garth, Guys Marsh, Parc Juvenile Unit
- March - Ex-prisoners' short films; recruitment for the Unlocked grad scheme; what reading means to prisoners in honour of World Book Day; new funding for Open University degrees in prison; HM Prisons education inspections - Durham, Eastwood Park, Swinfen Hall
- February - Going to university with a criminal record - barriers, success, and the experience of a mentor; Nina Champion presents on prison education to the Justice Select Committee; a partnership between De Montfort University and HMP Leicester; HMI Prisons education inspections - Wymott, Channings Wood, Norwich and Exeter; Andrew's prison learner diary, part 1
- January - A Coates taskforce; a learner's view on the link between education and safety; Scrooge in the Scrubs; LBSU/Pentonville partnership; art and catharsis in prison
Contact us if you would like to submit an idea for the e-news, you have feedback or to read our archive.